White Plains Child Custody & Visitation Attorney
Safeguarding the best interests of your children
There are no legal battles more emotionally charged than when your child’s custody is at stake. At The Law Office of Karen Jansen, our White Plains child custody attorney does everything possible to protect the relationship you have with your children. We personally understand how challenging it is for many parents to accept the legal system making decisions about how their children should be raised.
Factors used to decide what is in your child’s best interests
Family courts use what is known as the “best interests” standard to guide their judgements in child custody rulings. This standard does not have any clear definition. In most cases there is a presumption that some sort of shared custody is in the child’s best interests. Getting full custody generally requires evidence that tips all of the factors in the favor of one parent. Our White Plains child custody attorneys have found that the most common factors courts analyze include:
- Whether one parent has been the primary caretaker for the child
- Whether one parent’s home environment is more appropriate for raising the child
- Whether one of the parents has a work schedule that would be unfit for the child
- Who the child would prefer to live with (if they have reached a mature age)
- Other relationships (siblings, extended family, etc.) that could be impacted by living with one of the parents
- The safety and wellbeing of the child
- Whether one of the parents has a physical or mental health issue that would be a challenge to raising the child
- The overall strengths and weaknesses of either parent
- Any history of domestic violence or criminal records
The difference between legal and physical custody
New York law distinguishes between legal and physical custody. Physical custody refers to where the child is going to primarily live. Legal custody refers to the right to make the major life decisions for the child. Our White Plains child custody attorney is your strongest advocate.
Schedule a confidential consultation with leading White Plains child custody attorney
At The Law Office of Karen Jansen, you will find a tough advocate; a child custody laywer who protects your best interests and works hard to preserve your relationship with your children. Schedule a free initial phone consultation by calling us at 914-821-5200 or contact us online. Night and weekend appointments are available. The office is close to mass transit and serves clients in White Plains, Scarsdale, Harrison, Greenburgh, North Castle, Eastchester, Bronxville, Rye and Mamaroneck.