White Plains Adoption Attorney Provides Comprehensive Legal Representation Throughout Each Step of the Adoption Process
Guiding New York families toward positive resolutions for nearly 20 years
Adoption is often the answer for many individuals and couples seeking to expand or complete their family. The adoption process can be complex and lengthy with many unexpected challenges along the way. At the Law Office of Karen Jansen, our knowledgeable New York adoption attorney thoroughly understands all facets of the adoption process and has significant experience handling many different types of adoption. Whether you have questions about how to begin the process or need assistance handling an urgent family member adoption, we provide the resources and legal advice you need to make the best decisions for your family.
Personalized representation for all types of adoption
Depending on your specific circumstances and wishes, there are many different types of adoption to choose from. Our firm routinely handles a wide variety of adoption cases involving:
- Infant/newborn adoption – Many people wish to adopt an infant as opposed to an older child. Because the number of infants available for adoption is relatively small, many individuals and couples must go through an independent adoption process. It is important to have an experienced adoption attorney on your side to protect your best interests and ensure that all aspects of the adoption are handled appropriately.
- Foster child adoption – If you wish to adopt a child that is currently in foster care, there are specific steps established by the New York State Office of Children and Family Services that must be completed.
- Stepparent adoption – The adoption of a stepchild is an important step in establishing a legally protectable relationship with your stepchild. In New York, you must obtain consent from your spouse and the child’s other biological parent for the adoption unless a court finds that the other parent’s consent is not required. Additionally, children aged 14 and older must also consent to the stepparent adoption.
- Family relative adoption – Family relative adoptions involving nieces, nephews, grandchildren or cousins often involve unique circumstances that may require additional steps. Both biological parents must provide consent unless a court has terminated all parent rights or both parents are deceased.
- International adoption – Many families choose to adopt a child from a country outside of the United States. In this case, you must take additional steps to ensure that you comply with all adoption laws and requirements of both the child’s home country and the U.S.
Regardless of which type of adoption you choose, there are typically several legal steps involving applications, home studies, training or educational sessions and supervised visits that must be completed before an adoption is finalized. It is important to have a trustworthy advocate on your side to help you achieve your desired goals.
Contact a leading New York adoption attorney for unparalleled service and client-focused counsel
The adoption process can be a daunting challenge with many unknown variables. At the Law Office of Karen Jansen, our knowledgeable New York adoption attorney confidently guides you through each step from beginning to end. To schedule a free initial consultation, call 914-821-5200 or send an email today. Representing clients throughout Westchester and Rockland counties, New York City, Yonkers, White Plains and surrounding communities.